A drug and alcohol assessment is an initial comprehensive interview discussing various aspects of an individual’s life to determine what type of drug and alcohol treatment would be most appropriate in a given situation. The different types of treatment available range from inpatient detox and rehabilitation to various degrees of outpatient services and are referred to as “levels of care”. Factors that are considered in determining an appropriate level of care include the type and quantity of substances being used and the potential for withdrawal, biomedical conditions the individual may be coping with, emotional and behavioral concerns, the individual’s level of acceptance of the need for treatment, the potential for relapse, and the environment in which the individual is living.

No. Individuals with insurance coverage may contact a treatment provider directly and arrange for an assessment or to initiate treatment using their insurance coverage. It is suggested that individuals with private insurance contact the member services number for their insurance company to determine which local providers may be in-network with your insurance. Similarly, individuals with Medical Assistance having HealthChoices coverage for behavioral health services through Magellan Behavioral Health of PA may contact the Magellan member services line at 1-800-424-0485 to locate an in-network provider.

Individuals attempting to arrange treatment privately who experience difficulty with the process are welcome to contact our agency for additional guidance.

Yes, please contact our office. Each individual seeking services through our agency completes a financial liability determination worksheet with our case manager. We use a sliding fee scale to determine what portion of the treatment costs should be the responsibility of the individual. We recognize that substance use disorder may cause unforeseen problems with your household finances or impact an individual’s ability to maintain employment. Each situation is considered independently. In situations where your financial circumstances create a barrier to you receiving treatment, your case manager may appeal on your behalf for our agency to pay some or all of your portion of the treatment costs, regardless of the results of the financial liability determination.

Yes. Veterans are given preference to treatment. Please contact our office to schedule an appointment and we will ensure that you are placed in the appropriate type of treatment with one of our contracted providers and funded for that treatment.

No. Our agency maintains contracts with numerous detox and residential facilities both in neighboring counties and throughout the state, providing you with many options to secure a bed in a timely manner. In fact, our agency and our contracted providers are required to give preference to treatment to certain populations. These include:

  1. Pregnant women who inject drugs
  2. Pregnant women who use substances
  3. Persons who inject drugs
  4. Overdose survivors
  5. Veterans

Drug and alcohol treatment is voluntary in Pennsylvania. Treatment facilities are not locked and staff cannot physically restrain individuals who may want to leave a facility. In some cases, the Court may order an individual to participate in drug and alcohol treatment. However, even in those cases, while an individual may face consequences such as jail time for not following the Court’s order, the individual cannot be held at the treatment facility against their will.

In general, once an individual applies for services through our agency, federal and state client confidentiality regulations prevent us from sharing information with anyone without the individual’s written consent. There are a few exceptions:

  • If we receive a “good cause” court order requiring us to release information, we are required to do so
  • In cases of a medical emergency, we may disclose information necessary to address this emergency
  • Crimes committed on the premises of a drug and alcohol program are not subject to confidentiality protections
  • Reports of suspected child abuse will be made as mandated by law

At the time of your referral, you will have the opportunity to discuss the specific policies of your chosen facility with the treatment provider. Generally, laundry facilities and detergent are provided, along with bed linens, pillows, blankets, and towels. However, the following list includes many of the most common items you should plan to bring:

  • Photo ID, or birth certificate and Social Security card
  • Your insurance card, if applicable
  • Prescription medication in original bottle with label
  • Personal hygiene items such as soap, deodorant, shampoo, razor, shower shoes, etc.
  • One week of clothing
  • Small amount of cash (less than $25)
  • Spiritual or recovery-oriented reading materials
  • Unopened tobacco products (adults)


  • Over-the-counter medication
  • Perfume/cologne, nail polish, aerosol cans, any items containing alcohol
  • Glass bottles or sharp objects
  • Electronics
  • Opened tobacco products, food, or beverage
  • Personal vehicle
  • Non-spiritual or non-recovery-related print materials
  • Sleeveless, form-fitting or short clothing, or clothing that promotes drug or alcohol use, sex, violence, or gang affiliation

In situations where individuals who are incarcerated are being furloughed directly into inpatient treatment and would like to obtain these items prior to departure, their belongings will need to be brought to the prison and searched before the furlough occurs.

Referrals to our program for a drug and alcohol assessment to be completed with an individual in the Cambria County Prison are made via a court order from a Cambria County Court of Common Pleas judge or an officer of the Court, such as a probation officer, who is supervising the case of the individual who is incarcerated. These referrals originate with the Court because a person cannot be furloughed from prison to drug and alcohol treatment without a court order. Should the Court issue an order for an assessment, a case manager from our office will complete a drug and alcohol assessment with the individual in the order that the referral was received. Upon completion of the assessment, the case manager will forward a letter to the Court summarizing the treatment recommendation. Should the Court wish to furlough the client to treatment, a court order will be issued authorizing the furlough and our case manager will subsequently arrange treatment and notify the prison of the date and time that the individual will be transported to treatment. Upon the completion of inpatient treatment, or if the individual is discharged for some other reason, the individual is returned to the prison to await a review hearing with the Court. Further disposition of the case occurs at the discretion of the Court.

In cases where the individual does not require inpatient treatment, outpatient services may be arranged through our program once the individual is released from prison.

No. The Cambria County DUI program is coordinated through the Cambria County Court Administrator’s office. The contact person is Jamie Baumgardner, who can be reached at (814)472-1533. Uninsured or underinsured individuals who have been involved in a DUI incident and recognize the need for more extensive drug and alcohol treatment, or who have been court-ordered to complete a drug and alcohol assessment and enter drug and alcohol treatment beyond the ARD process, should contact our office to arrange a drug and alcohol assessment for placement into treatment.